Tuesday, March 5, 2013

St. Patty Cakes

The day of green is fast approaching! Who doesn't love to drink green beer and feast on corned beef and cabbage? Minus the beer, I'm down for any St. Patty's Day shenanigans I can get involved in, which usually consists of me being DD. You know me, livin' on the wild side...

(Tangent Time) My mother-in-law is wreath crazy. She has one for every season, holiday, whatever... We'll go to the craft store and she'll become fixated on one that she has. to. have. And most of the time, she ends up buying it. So, in an effort to save her money (and for me to do another craft), we went to the craft store (dangerous) to look for supplies to make our own. 

(This is where it all comes together) We went to the craft store and bought these twiggy wreaths. These are good to work with because you're able to shove flowers and different sorts of decoration into them and they hold that position without having to be glued down. #winning


After we picked two of these out, we picked out some flowers to add some character to our wreaths. The mother-in-law wanted to go with a spring theme, I wanted to go with a St. Patty's Day theme (told you it would make sense!).

So, after snooping around Michael's fake flower department (everything was 40% off!), we ended up with some cute stuff. I didn't take any pictures while making them, but we pretty much cut down some of the stem with wire cutters and shoved the stems into the tangled twigs. Fake flowers are cool because you can mold them and bend them the way you want. Here's how mine turned out (I totally failed and didn't get a picture of hers, oops!):


On the top left hand section, I wrapped a bow tie around it and tied a knot, as well as a glass "D". Nothing screams Irish like the name Dockerty! 


In the bottom right section I stuck a few bunches of flowers and some single glittery roses in there. I also shoved some green glittery leaves and some green streamer things for some flair. 

My favorite part about these wreaths is the fact that when a new season or holiday pops up, we can pull out these flowers and store them for the next holiday and replace them with the upcoming event. My next wreath with be themed around Easter, after that I'll probably do a spring wreath and then in May I might even get a little crazy and make a birthday wreath! That way, when the mailman walks up to the door, he'll know there's a birthday in the house (or at least what holiday is coming up). Either way, I'm happy with how it turned out. It's much easier to store fake flowers for every season than to store a big wreath, am I right? Now, I just need to get one of those sticky hooks to hang 'er up on the front door for all to see! Bring it on Saint Patrick! 

-C Doc

No comments:

Post a Comment