Thursday, March 28, 2013

Le Boudoir

It's been a little while since I've done any updates to our bedroom, but this past week we've managed to get a lot done!

Originally I was thinking of incorporating some colors and patterns and making it a fun, spunky room, but I was reminded what the finished goal was: a grown-up room. And that is just what we've made it. I'm so happy with the [almost] final outcome and I cant wait to share with you!

The reason why it's taken so long to get to this point is because it's important to be patient. I could have plopped some pictures on the wall, bought some crazy fabric to make some drapes and called it a day, but I wouldn't have been happy with the final outcome. The key is finding the right pieces. So, I always start at my favorite store, Home Goods! The other day I decided to stop in just to check out some cool pots that I could put my new plant into. I got the plant at Michaels; it looks like a Hawaiian Ti Plant and was 40% off! It came in an ugly black plastic pot so I wanted to spruce it up some. Unfortunately I didn't find a pot that would have complimented the room like I would have liked... But, I managed to find a bunch of other stuff!!!

We had this blank wall where the dresser once was. It was screaming for some attention and I was wanting a full length mirror so I could see how my butt looks in my jeans Sean and I could stop shoving each other out of the way of the only mirror that is in our bathroom. Ahhh space.


Annnnd alacazam! Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the cutest puppy staring at her mommy like she's a crazy person?!?


I love this mirror! It's got some great detail in the frame and it's huuuge! We had to hang it pretty high up on the wall because of the vent that circulates air back into the handler, which is the in the closet right next to our bedroom. But, since I'm about as tall as Amazon Woman, the height works for me and my giraffe legs :)

Here's a close up of the detail in the frame:



Notice something in the mirror's reflection?! Curtains covering the sliding glass doors! You can also see the plant that I bought and shoved in between the dresser and door.


Now we don't have to look at all of the folding chairs and coolers out on our back porch! Which makes me a very happy girl. What about the other window that the bed sits in front of?


Boom. Curtains there, too. I love how they match the ones covering the sliding glass doors. I think it frames out the window and draws your attention to the bed. Not that it needs to stand out any more than it does since it stands almost four feet tall!

I'm also a fan of the black curtain rods. As Sherry from my favorite blog Young House Love says, it's like the eyeliner of the window! It also pulls some of the color out of the painting that we hunnngggg! (Picture me screaming in my best Oprah voice)


We look so artsy fartsy with our abstract painting hung on our big wall. I was so happy/excited/elated when I found this. That's a big wall to cover and this painting has the perfect scale as well as the perfect colors! It really completes the room and I'm so happy with how everything turned out and blends together. It blends a lot better in person, the colors in the pictures are sorta skewed because I take all of the pictures with my iPhone. You'll just have to trust me that it looks good :)


Everything that is now hanging on our walls is being held by anchors. If you've ever drilled into a masonry wall, you know that it can get dusty and dirty. So, here's a quick tip. Take a paper towel and run half of it under some running water. Don't wring it out! Stick it to the wall and while you're drilling, hold up the other side of the paper towel. The wet part will stick to the wall and the part that you're holding up will catch all of the dust!


Here's a bad example of what I'm talking about hahaha; by this point, the paper towel had dried out a bit, but it could still work since there is some dampness to it. As long as there is something to block the dust from hitting the ground and something damp to catch the dust. It's worth a shot since it'll save some cleanup time later.

That concludes the latest updates for our bedroom. By the looks of the way things are headed, my beloved little pillow and rug from this post are booted out of the bedroom. But, no worries, I have other uses for them :)

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! May you all have a blessed Easter and a fabulous time spent with family on Sunday.

-C Doc

No comments:

Post a Comment