Monday, October 8, 2012

Ghosts and Ghouls

It’s beginning to look a little Halloweeny around here!  This weekend, the decorations were busted out, made and put up. In an effort to save some cash, I made some ghosts to hang in our palm tree outside. They’re super cute, super easy, super cheap (it only cost around $3.50 for materials) and they look really cool when the wind blows the palm fronds and they whip around J
So, here goes nothing! I started out with these three things, cheese cloth, heavy starch and Sean’s coffee to-go-cup-thingy. I used it because it was tall and it had a round top. You can use whatever you want to make that shape; this is just what I had on hand that would work.

I started by wrapping the cup in cellophane so I wouldn’t ruin the cup. I later found out that a plastic grocery bag worked much better.  I. Hate. Cellophane. And it hates me.  I then rolled out the cheese cloth and separated all the layers and cut it into strips about 14-16” long. The ghosts turn out really cool looking if you lay the strips of cheese cloth like a cross, it gives it some dimension.

After those steps, I draped the cheese cloth over the coffee cup.

And now, we spray  J   I took it outside for this step and sprayed the heavy starch reeeaaalllyyy generously all over the cheese cloth. To the point of where the whole thing was a foamy white because I sprayed so much haha.

After that, you just leave it to dry. This first one that was photographed took hours to dry, and since I’m impatient, I decided to take the blow dryer to the rest of them to hurry the drying process. That worked like a charm!

Once I had my form, I took a Sharpie marker to draw some eyes and a mouth on it. I then ran some fishing line through its head so it could hang. Here’s one all completed!

Super cute right? Here is what the front of the house looks like, with the exception of the pumpkin that’s hanging from my mailbox, I totally forgot to squeeze him in the pic.

Not too long after I took that picture, a storm rolled in... In fear that the rain would totally ruin my project, I took the little guys inside and hung them in our Ficus tree. They look kinda cool with the glow of the tv!

I carried the Halloween theme inside, as well, with some table décor. I found this awesome table runner at Michaels and made the centerpiece out of a wine glass, candles and some Candy Corn. If it’s looking a little scarce on Candy Corn, it’s because I cant stop eating it… Oops.

We were also given this creepy looking little dude from Sean’s mom. He lights up and weirds everyone out that comes in the house.  But that’s what Halloween is all about, right? He kinda looks like Casper with a little bit of Michelin Man mixed in there... You can even see a faint line of a training bra, do you see it? What a weirdo!

What are you doing for Halloween? Are you decorating your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment