Monday, October 1, 2012

Concrete, breakfast and bad outfits

What a busy weekend! I left off Friday with a picture of Sean tearing up our yard with a bobcat… About three or four months ago I came home for lunch and found him and his friend clearing out our side yard, what a mess!

Throughout the next few weeks we prepped the area for concrete. I had some wire mesh and rebar delivered to the house from my work and everything was ready to go! We did a cool free form pattern connecting the slab to our back porch. You can kind of see from the picture how it carries into the back yard, it looks really neat!

So seven in the morning on Saturday, this big guy showed up. A loud concrete truck to wake up all the neighbors; who definitely hate us now… Sorry!

Everything went pretty smoothly once we got going and we definitely had a good crew of friends to help finish the slab.

Now, let’s pause for a second to discuss Sean’s choice of outfits… I know this picture below is blurry, but do you see this hot mess? In his mind, its practical; board shorts to rinse off, rubber boots to rinse off as well, and no shirt, because it was freakin hot out, but really? He will never dress our children… Mark my words.

As the work went on, I continued to fill up waters and I also fed the boys breakfast. More on that in a little bit.

Later on in the day, as the concrete dried, we used a quick cut saw to cut lines in the slab. This is done so that the slab doesn’t crack. Normal people would use proper safety gear such as safety glasses, ear protection, steel toe boots, and pants. But, not my boy. He wore safety glasses and ear protection, but still had on his board shorts and by that time had kicked off the rubber boots and threw on some flip flops. OSHA would have a field day with this one, but I guess two out of four isn’t that bad… ha!

I'm happy to report that all ten toes are still attached :)
Also, since no one wants to wake up ridiculously early on Saturday morning, I thought I would make it somewhat worth their time to come over and help, so I made breakfast. When it comes to making breakfast for 8 hungry boys, the easiest way to do it is to make breakfast casserole. So I took all of the wonderful breakfast items that everyone loves and through it all together. It makes for fewer dishes, which I most definitely appreciate. I started with a 9x13 glass dish and lined it with hash browns, kind of like a pie crust. I used the southwest style hash browns for some extra flavor.  

I then took a pound of cooked bacon (that I cooked the night before) and chopped it up and put it on top of the hash browns. It was actually less than a pound because Sean found it in the fridge and ate some... Dangit.


Next, I cracked 12 eggs and whisked them up. I threw in a bunch of spices, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, Cajun seasoning, and a dash of cayenne pepper for some bite. Once that was all mixed up, I poured the mixture into my hash brown and bacon lined dish. I tossed it in the oven at 325* for about 20 minutes.


Once it was all cooked, I took it out and sprinkled 2 cups of Colby Jack cheese on top and placed it back in the oven for about 3-4 minutes to get the cheese all melted. Here’s what it looked like when I pulled it out, check out that cheesy masterpiece, yum!
 
And here’s what it looked like 5 minutes later…

Apparently they liked it!
All in all, Saturday was a successful day and we are very thankful to our helpful and dedicated friends. We now have a slab to park the trailer for the lawn maintenance business, which Sean started today! September was a whirlwind of a month, and we couldn’t be more excited for our future. Let’s hope the rest of the year is as exciting and full of good news like September was!

No comments:

Post a Comment