Wednesday, February 20, 2013

New meaning to picture window

As promised, I'm back with another project that got done this past weekend. We recently got our wedding photos back with full rights to print whatever pictures we like so, off to Walgreen's I went! I printed off my favorites to start out and found the perfect place to display them. Let's begin.

Many moons ago (OK like three months ago) I found an old window on Craigslist for $10. I loved it so I went and bought it. One week later, Sean found an old window a little smaller than the one I bought in his dump trailer. He hung it up in our living room and bragged about the fact that his was free. Such a one upper, that boy... Anyhoo, we hung the one that I bought in our dining room right above our dining room set that I refinished.

We hung it by the hinges that were already attached to the window. The wood had a few rotten spots so we reinforced the hinges by using newer and longer screws and attached it to the wall using some anchors.


It's nice to have it hang by the hinges because the window is able to swing up, which makes it easier to clean and easier for projects such as this one!


Also, as you can see, there is a decorative vine going across the top. My awesome mother-in-law gave it to me :) They sell them up in North Carolina in a little cabin that is located in the middle of nowhere in the mountains. The vine was attached to a stick which was then attached to the window with some finishing nails.  Bada-bing-bada-boom. I think it adds the perfect touch of texture and color.


So, for the project, I wanted to hang the pictures like clothes on a line, it sorta goes with the vintage feel (I think?). Plus, it's really easy to switch out pictures. We all know I'm all about easy... Which brings me to the materials needed for the project. Just duct tape, twine and wittle-bitty clothes pins.


I know what you're thinking.... is she really using duct tape? How cheap. How ugly. And to that I say yes, it's cheap and ugly. But you won't see it and I'm allll about saving a buck. So, I started out by marking where I wanted the twine to hang and I marked it with a pencil. No worries on trying to hide the mark, do you see the condition of the wood? You can't even notice it.


After that, I measured out the length of the twine and stuck it on the back of the window using the duct tape. Can you see the pencil or duct tape? I didn't think so! :)


Next is the fun part! Hanging the pictures, which I did with the little clothes pins; easy-peasy. Here's the finished product!



***Sidenote: It's insane how lighting and the time of day plays such a big part in pictures. In the picture on top, the wall color looks pink/purple, the one below it looks yellowish/beige. Crazy. Damn you iPhone for making me look like such a horrible photographer...

I love our picture window :) I think it's a cute and creative way to show off the best day of our lives. I may end up backing the pictures with some scrapbook paper to add a little flair. But only if I get a wild hair. Now I'm going outside to get a little fresh air (because I'm obviously losing my mind...).

Before I make this any worse, I'm out!

-C Doc

No comments:

Post a Comment