Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Room for two

It was a busy weekend in our Dockerty Domain! We started Saturday with the yard sale that I've been talking about for a few weeks. We finally got around to putting our crap out in the driveway... well, we put our crap in Sean's parent's driveway. They had a ton of stuff to get rid of too so we compiled it all into one heap of junk. I'd say it was pretty successful, between our two Dockerty families we made over $500. Woohoo!

We started Sunday morning by going to our second home, Home Depot! Sean was having withdrawals; it had been four days since he'd been there. So, we went and got some essentials, a new screen door handle and fittings for the huge potato gun he's making. I swear, these boys will never [ever] grow up...

When we got home the real magic happened... in the bedroom. Get your mind out of the gutter sickos! As  planned last week, I went to Sherwin Williams after work and got some paint for our new grown-up room. I got a color called Temperate Taupe. I love it :)


I think it has the perfect amount of beige and grey with a little bit of color thrown in. It's a good neutral that blends with the rest of the house colors pretty well. After spackling the holes in the walls, the paint got slapped on. Yippee! No more mustard!

While the paint was drying, I hopped in my truck and went to a local mattress store. I laid down on almost every mattress there and, to my dismay, they all felt the same... This was the first time I had ever been mattress shopping before so I wasn't exactly sure what to look for and since Sean didn't go with me, the pressure was on. After asking the guy a few questions, I ended up getting a solid foam mattress. It's not memory foam so it wont soak up your body heat and get hot and it doesn't have springs that will stab you in the back in a few years. It seems pretty durable and it's very comfortable. The best part is that I only spent $250! Before the guy could change his mind on the awesome price that I talked him down to, I had him strap it on the truck and off I went! 


After waiting for the paint to dry, moving furniture, cleaning the room and washing the sheets, it was time. Time for our grown-up room to come together. Time to act like big kids adults. So, without further ado, here is step one of the renovation into our holy-crap-we're-married-adults room:


I'm diggin it. Something about placing your bed in the middle of the wall instead of shoving it in the corner just makes it look more mature. And those sheets? Ahhhhmazing. We put them on our wedding registry and, lucky for us, a friend of ours was nice enough to get them. 600 thread count is yummy. We also got that little white accent pillow for our wedding; it has our names printed on it and says "Always kiss me goodnight". Last night I didn't follow that rule because the hubby is sick, which is no bueno. I hate watching him sniffle but, most of all, I hate listening to him cough. yuck. Anyhoo, we're both enjoying the delicious sheets and the subdued color. I'm especially fond of sleeping like a queen on a queen sized mattress.

Notice those side tables? I got these puppies off of Craigslist. The guy I bought them from renovates hotels and sells the old furniture; I bought them for $5 a piece!


Granted, they're not the most pretty things, but once I'm done with them, they'll be perfect for the room. I'm excited with how it's going and I can't wait to keep plugging away at it. I went yesterday to look at some fabric samples and to my favorite place on earth, Disney World Home Goods. That place makes me happy. I'll hopefully have some time to update a few more things this week, but, until then, I'll be swimming in my luxurious sheets. Ciao! 

-C Doc









No comments:

Post a Comment