Thursday, April 25, 2013

Tree Hugger



Rejoice! I am able to upload pictures! The Internet definitely has a sense of humor... especially when it comes to Firewall Protection.

I had a post all ready for Monday in honor of it being Earth Day, but good ol' Internet Explorer decided that it wanted to keep my tree pictures under wraps out of respect of the holiday. But I'm back with a vengeance.

I made a blueprint (which is totally laughable now) of what I thought Sean and I had envisioned for the backyard landscape project that we've been itching to do for a while now. We've discussed trees, shrubs, etc. and this was what I thought we had planned:


As you can see, we're landscaping the back corner of the yard. We talked about putting a Triple Foxtail palm in the back corner, Robellini palms on the two sides, shrubs placed around the trees, red fountain grass in the middle and flowers scattered throughout, or something like that...

What do you think of my skills in Microsoft Paint? That took some serious time... the OCD and ex-drafting student in me had a field day with that one.

Anyhoo, my wonderful husband is just that. wonderful. Will he ever throw me a surprise birthday party? probably not. Will he ever surprise me by getting me a really cool gift that I wasn't expecting? probably not. But, when it comes to this house and the projects we desire to do, he does them with a smile on his face the best of his ability. And most of the time, these wonderful things happen while I'm bored slaving away at work (ha!). Surprise!

As I drove home Tuesday afternoon jamming out to my main man, Eric Church, I expected to go home and find him (Sean, not Eric. bummer.) chilling in his garage with a friend and our two pups; I come home to this sight probably 3 out of the 5 days that I work. But as I turned on to my street, I found our two big gates open, our friend Ricky's truck pulled in with his lawn trailer and dirt everywhere. Hmm....

I walked in the backyard in search of the boys and found this!



I probably had one of these faces:


God only knows what I was so excited about in this particular picture, but I had the same overjoyed feeling when I saw all of the plants unloaded in our backyard. My boy had surprised me once again. A few months ago I came home to landscaping in the frontyard, a few weeks ago I came home to new grass in the back, and alas, the day had come for the backyard landscaping. Yay!

After I did a happy dance and said thank you a million times, the boys got to diggin' and I got to watchin', ha!


Here are the plants that were used:

Robellini
Croton
Viburnum

Pittosporum

Andonidia

Loropetalum


The plants used are pretty much completely different from what Sean and I had discussed but I love them so much more than what we planned for. Ricky said that when he and Sean went to the nursery, Sean was like a kid in a candy store picking out plants and shrubs. I can only imagine how goofy he looked...



Lately we've been watering fools. Both in an effort to water the plants (obviously) and to get our green grass back. Sean put the sod down and it turned a little yellow, we've been slackers when it comes to keeping a good amount of water on it, but we're definitely keeping up on it now!

All that's left to do is put some cute little flowers in front of the shrubs and put pine bark down as mulch! I, of course, wanted this done as soon as we could possibly do it, but Sean, being the smart boy that he is, said that it would be beneficial to run an irrigation system before doing that. I'll allow him to be smart every now and then... But I'm so excited to see it all done! We're also discussing landscape lighting (I'm currently doing that happy dance again)   :)

I'm so excited to be able to share this with you guys! With all of the pictures on this post, I'm definitley stickin' it to the Internet. Take that Firewall Protection! Hopefully I'll be able to post like normal again because I've got some fun stuff to show you guys! Till next time!

-C Doc

No comments:

Post a Comment