Monday, October 21, 2013

Pinterest Party - Fall Edition

A couple of weeks ago I got all my girls together for a Pinterest Party! It's a night that we can all get together to drink wine, eat some scrumptious food and do a craft! I had one last year and it was a hit, so I decided to have one again. I send out the invite a few weeks in advance and ask that every girl bring a dish that they've been wanting to try (via Pinterest) and I buy all of the materials for the craft that I choose. Something that's been popping up (pinning up?) on Pinterest lately are the wreaths that you can make out of pool noodles! Now you all know I'm a big fan of festive wreaths, so I was all over this idea. Being that it's fall and there aren't too many summer items found in stores any more, I had to come up with something to use other than a noodle. Luckily, I work for a construction supply company and there are plenty of materials around work that can be used for different uses, so I used something called backer-rod. It's a foam material that is used to shove in between a concrete joint, or in this case, make festive wreaths :)

All I did was cut the foam into three foot sections and duct tape the ends together to make a hoop!


The cool part about this material is if it looks a little wonky, you can form it to make a better looking circle. After that was done, all we did was wrap strips of burlap around it a bunch of times and secure the ends with hot glue. Whenever Michaels had a sale, I would go stock up on flowers and ribbon to decorate them. Here is my completed wreath!


I kept it simple with one sunflower and some leaves. I got to the ribbon a little too late and all that was left was a little sliver, so I snuck in a little piece behind the flower for a small pop of color. I also made a little banner out of felt and twine. I cut the triangles and hot glued the twine to the back and wrote on it with a Sharpie. Ya know, just in case I forget what season it is.


I hung mine on my old window in the living room. Normally I have a twig wreath up there that has some flowers that match our house colors, but I like the little bit of seasonal decor up there. It works out perfectly too because there is a hook up there that was used to latch the window closed, but now it works perfectly as a wreath holder!

It was a great time and everyone made an adorable piece of fall decor for their homes. I am already planning the next Pinterest Party, it'll have a Christmas theme since the holidays are upon us! Where has this year gone?!

-C Doc

No comments:

Post a Comment