Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pumpkin Spice and everything nice

It’s November already! It’s amazing how time flies…  Last night, the dogs were barking like crazy the trick-or-treaters came by; so, naturally, we had some friends over, hung out in the driveway, the guys were drinking beer and the country music was blaring. It was pretty much a typical night at our house! With the exception of all of the princesses, scream masks and Harry Potters that were gallivanting in our streets… Oh and my dad, Frankenstein haha

I decided to add to our sugar induced outlandish state by making some pumpkin spice cupcakes! Pumpkin is such a versatile ingredient in the kitchen and since it's fall, I fully intend on using it as much as possible! 
One of my favorite qualities of pumpkin is that you don’t have to use too many ingredients along with the puree to get great results. I showed you before that pumpkin dip uses only three ingredients, now I’m about to show you a recipe that only uses two! Pumpkin spice cupcakes, yummm J
To make these treats, you literally only use a can of pumpkin and a box cake mix. Usually I use a yellow cake mix, but I decided to spice it up a bit with some spice cake mix. The cool thing about this recipe is that you can make different things with it; cupcakes, cakes, or bread! It just depends on what dish you bake it in and what you top it with. I decided to top mine with cream cheese icing. ***Side note: Pillsbury cream cheese icing is not all that great, definitely stick with Betty Crocker or make your own!

As for the directions, you literally just mix the two ingredients together! After trying to mix it with a spoon, I remembered that Sean’s grandmother got me a hand mixer for by bridal shower, so I busted it out and used it! Little did I know she got me the hand mixer on steroids and “Speed 1” is like warp speed; so needless to say, I splattered pumpkin and cake mix everywhere!!! Such a mess… But, back to the task at hand; after you mix everything thoroughly, plop a dollop of the mixture in the cupcake liners and throw them in a 325* oven for about 25 minutes. Because the mixture is so thick, whatever it looks like when you put it in the cupcake liner is what it’s going to look like after its baked:

So, if you want a smooth top, take a knife or spatula and spread it out on top. Boom. Done. As you can see from the picture above, I didn’t care what it looked like haha, it all tastes the same in the end!
After letting it cool for about 5-10 minutes, I iced them with some whipped cream cheese icing, and just like that, they were done!

I took the extras that didn’t get eaten to work for the guys. This recipe will make 12 pretty large cupcakes; I’ve also made it in bread form which makes a pretty decent sized loaf. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment